So, you may want to reset Moto X.
Very often, just a reboot, not a reset of Moto X will solve the problem
You can force Moto X to reboot (restart) by pressing and holding the Power button for 7 – 10 seconds, Moto X will restart/reboot. Moto X should always respond to this operation, even your screen is frozen or not responsive, because it is implemented at hardware level.
Before considering to reset Moto X, it is always a good idea to try to reboot your Moto X.
Very often, after rebooting, Moto X will work normally, and some weird things disappear. So, it is not necessary to reset Moto X at all.
Restarting Moto X will NOT delete any data on your Moto X. It means no data loss when rebooting your Moto X. Technically, rebooting is just to clear the memory and re-initialize the hardware.
So, whenever you feel Moto X works abnormally, a simple reboot may solve your problem.
Sometimes, rebooting Moto X may not solve the issue. Then, you probably have to consider factory data reset.
Factory Data Reset will reset Moto X to factory state
Factory Data Reset is a tool for you to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on Moto X after you got it. In other words, it will reset Moto X to “factory” state.
After factory data reset, all apps you installed and all of your data will be deleted. You will lose all of your data. So, it is recommended to backup your data before resetting Moto X.
There is one exception. The system update (for example, OTA update for your system) you applied will be kept. Actually, once your Moto X is updated, there is no “official” way to roll back!! Factory data reset will NOT roll back the system to the original state when you bought the Moto X.
To reset Moto X, you can go to Settings–Backup & reset– Factory Data Reset–Reset Phone.
If you have customized your Moto X on Motomaker you will have the option to remove your personalized content. If you want to remove your start up message or wallpaper, check the Erase all personalized content box as shown below.
Forceful reset Moto X when factory data reset is not accessible
Very rarely, you may not be able to access factory data reset, for example, Moto X hangs immediately after rebooting. In this scenario, you’d better to ring Motorola support line.
Please note this forceful reset Moto X should only be used when you are unable to access factory data reset function.
When using this method to reset Moto X, everything is deleted from the device. You will lose all of your data on this Moto X.
Similar to factory data reset, all system update (for example, OTA update for your system) you applied will be kept. So, you can NOT use this method to rollback your system.
If you have customized your device on Motomaker, your personalized message and wallpaper will NOT be deleted.
Reset Moto X with this method will require a minimum battery level of 25%. If you are unable to perform a reset, please charge it for 30-60 minutes and try to reset Moto X again.
Here are the steps to reset Moto X forcefully:
- Power off your Moto X.
- With the phone powered off, press and hold the volume down button for 2-3 seconds, then Power button, then release both buttons.
- You should see a list of different boot options.
- Use the Volume down button to scroll to “Recovery” and use Volume up button to select. At this time, screen is NOT responsive. You have to use volume buttons to navigate. If Moto X reboots, you may have waited too long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.
- Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark) will be shown on screen.
- Press and hold the Volume up button for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the Volume up button, tap and release the Power button.
- Moto X will display additional menu options (text will appear in blue)
- Use the Volume down button to scroll to “Wipe data / factory reset” and use the Power button to select this option.
- Use the Volume down button again to select YES – delete all user data and press the Power button to confirm the action.
- Once the formatting is complete, press the Power button to confirm a reboot.
- Moto X will reboot and start the normal power up sequence
Again, please try to get help from Motorola whenever possible, if you have no experience with such procedures.
Do you have any problems to reset Moto X? Please let us know in the comment box below.
More guides, tutorials, tips and tricks for Moto X can be found on the Moto X How-to Guide page.